Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I Spy quilt

I wanted to catch you up on some projects I finished this year.  I had been collecting novelty prints for as long as I had been quilting-about 2 years or so.  I wanted to make an I-spy quilt for my son.  I picked up fat quarters on occasion at my LQS, started a swap in my online quilting group (by far this is a great way to increase your variety without increasing your stash too much), and receiving great fabrics from quilting friends.  I finally had what I wanted and, without a pattern in mind, started working.

This is what I came up with.  My son's room is green. Very green.  I like green and tend to have a lot of green in my stash.  I had the lighter of the greens already.  I had purchased about 4 yards at my LQS as a remnant for about $7.00!  I found the darker green to compliment and got to work.  Each 6.5" unfinished square is framed with a 1" finished frame of green.  The quilt is full sized.

Here are some pictures.



As you may be learning about me, I tend to free piece my quilt backs.  I wanted to use up as much novelty fabric as possible.  After all of this, I still have enough fabric to piece another quilt top and back (although thankfully a smaller one)  Novelty just keeps coming out of the woodwork!




 Below you can see the recipient of this quilt.  He was very pleased!




Here is another picture I took while assembling my quilt back.  The file box in the picture was full of fabrics to use for the quilt back.  I reduced that down to a man size shoe box but since have accumulated a 2 gallon ziplock full of novelty print scraps also!


5 comments:

  1. the green border is very effective.
    Love your backs!

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The back is a quilt, too. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling! Quilt back is just as cute! The simple quilt design is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not into I Spy quilts, but your's is huge. And I love the back. When I started quilting I thought that the back should be a plain muslin, or just one fabric. Now that I've been quilting for awhile, I love the look of pieced backs. Thanks for sharing.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice I Spy quilt. I was in a block exchange for I spy fabric about a year ago but I still haven't made the quilt for my Granddaughter yet.

    ReplyDelete