Sunday, May 22, 2011

Crumb patch top complete!

Here she is!  I finished her last night, but the lighting was so bad I waited until this morning to take a picture!  I LOVE it!  This is one of my favorites.  I am pleased that I sewed it well (still won't take pictures of the back of the quilt top though....lots of hidden stuff, lol).  I also had time to sew the back together.  I don't have a large stash, but I found some purple and green plaid fabrics and threw them together.  I think they all were sold as remnants.  One of them was a civil war fabric so I made sure to save some of that and tuck it away for my next hexagon project.

The total pieces for this quilt top is 1137!  The top cost me about $18.00 to make.  I bought the white background fabric and the blue border fabric.  5 yards for 18.00 is a good deal to me!!  I love a good stashbuster, don't you?!?

Here is the finished Crumb Patch Quilt!




The big question here is how do I quilt this thing!?!?!?  I am new to the actual quilting part and have a hard time many times figuring out how to compliment the quilt with quilting.  Suggestions welcome!

9 comments:

  1. It looks terrific! I think it would make a good blog header, too. Quilting? I think stitching in the ditch for your horizontal and vertical seams would be good and then do straight lines on all your horizontals as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I do like! Will have to make one too.
    BUT I am starting nothing new.....

    Looking forward to seeing it quilted & used.

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think it was possible to make this one more beautiful, but the last blue border really does. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it. I want to make one too. :)

    As far as quilting goes, Print that picture out and draw some quilting lines on it, you may want to print out more than one to try different ideas. At quick glance, I'd do some custom quilting in the stars,curved echoing inside mixed with some swirls in the star center.

    For the alternating blocks you can do some criss cross diagonal straight line stitching that stretch the length of the quilt.

    Then you can do some custom quilting in the flying geese border with either some arcs inside each geese or arcs that go outside the geese in the white fabric. Either one can be one in one continuous line by quilting one side of the geese on the way up, and then the other side on the way down.

    For the last outer border you can try some simple, (or more complex if your up to it) free hand feathers.

    Either way, it has endless possibilities. Test some out on your photo and see what you come up with.

    Can't wait to see what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many interesting fabrics to see! I love scrappy quilts and yours is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one fabulous scrap quilt! Love how you have used lots of little pieces to make up the centers of the stars and the puss in the corner blocks! The Flying geese border really is a perfect frame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one beautiful scrap quilt , wow , I just love it !!! Terrific job , you should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Discovered your blog today and am loving all the beautiful work you are doing with scraps. Linked to my blog so I can follow you.

    ReplyDelete