Saturday, May 21, 2011

Quilt Assembly and Borders.

I have been busy making my flying geese.  For this quilt you will need 138.  The flying geese for the crumb patch quilt will measure 2.5" x 4.5." It is important that you measure carefully and adjust the width of your inner border so your flying geese fit properly.  A good explanation  for why you have to measure so carefully can be found here at Quiltville

For starters, you actually have to make them first, right?  I made mine with a specialty ruler (Companion Angle, and EZ angle rulers).  You can make yours using a specialty ruler (also shown via the quiltville link) or there are other methods of making flying geese well explained by Connecting Threads





I assembled my flying geese making sure the colors were well distributed.






After I assembled my borders, I ironed them out and measured them to see exactly how big my inner borders had to be.  For the cornerstones, I made four four-patches.
It is assembly time!


One more step to go!  BTW, the inner border used 2.5" strips.  The side portion had to be a little bit narrower so the flying geese would fit properly.  Oh, and see the 4 patch cornerstone on the lower right corner?  Fixed that!  It was pointing the wrong way!

Next I am going to add a 4" finished blue border around the outside!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks awesome!! I love all those geese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt. I got here from another blog (but I can't remember which one). And I've placed you in my favorites. I like the pictures and instructions that you have given. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaping up to be a gorgeous, colorful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the use of scraps. This is definitely on my To Do list. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete