Friday, June 17, 2011

Value?

How on earth does one put a specific value on a quilt?  The reason I ask is that some people have expressed some interest in the Crumb Quilt.  I spent $18 on fabric and maybe 15 on batting (sale at Joanns...yay!) so the cost was minimal.  A better way to think about it is that scraps cost just as much per yard as the yardage in your stash.  We quilters talk about "free" projects, but that is only because we paid for the fabric and did our mental accounting with another quilt.  Heck, I was able to finish two other small projects with fabric leftover from Crumb Patch and I totally called them Free!

So what does one ask?  Is there a general consensus on a cost based on quilt size (twin vs baby quilt)?  How much does quilting or time account into an asking price?  The Crumb Patch took 8 weeks to make and took a fair amount of time.  I really don't know how much time it took...but it was not a petty few hours.  There are over 1000 pieces in it...my best guess is close to 40 hours.

I love Crumb Patch.  If I keep it I am happy.  If someone wants it and it would make them happy (with a fair asking price of course), I am happy.  My motivation to quilt right now is not to make money...but we have to feed-er-fund the habit, right?

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think a crafter ever "makes" anything on an object that is sold because of the time involved. If you charge for all of your time, then the item is priced too high for anyone to ever purchase.

    My advice: cover the cost of materials (even scraps -- they are valuable; otherwise, you would have thrown them away) and develop a formula for the time you dedicated to the project. Apply the total of materials and time to each item.

    ReplyDelete