Monday, June 16, 2014

A Calf is Born

I am about to take some pictures to update everyone on Hexie Part Deux, but first I wanted to share with everyone an amazing Father's Day present - my father's first calf is born.

My father is the son of a dairy farmer.  He grew up on a small dairy farm so he has always been around livestock.  While he has always had some livestock around, he moved away from cows about 4 or 5 years ago when feed prices rose.  He has not bred his own cows as an adult though.  About two years ago, he purchased two young Charlet cows (sisters); he intended to breed them and then use the calves as meat cows.  Fast forward.  Both cows were pregnant (we call them 5 and 9) and the first had her calf yesterday afternoon.

Here she is.  My father went up to check on them and saw that 5 had given birth.  The calf is laying down while 5 is cleaning her up.




Momma is helping her up.


The calf starts looking for milk.  she was sucking on knees, udders, her Momma's face.  After 5 minutes or so....score!




We named her Anna, after my grandmother.  If the next calf is female, she will be Pearl.  I suppose it isn't the best idea to name a calf you will eventually eat after your grandmother, but she was too pretty not to name!

I will update again soon with some hexie news!

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...I love those babies!! I too grew up on a farm, so this is a familiar and wonderful sight for me...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome Father's Day gift! I always enjoyed calving season.

    ReplyDelete